Monday, January 6, 2014

Villain of the Month: Blue Monday!!!



From Dostoevsky's oppressively hot St. Petersburg in Crime and Punishment to Shakespeare's stormy Scotland in Macbeth, great writers have often heightened the tension in a work by understanding the way weather/seasons affect the characters. If we consider villainous weather and seasons, then today is officially the most villainous day of the year. It even has its own name...Blue Monday. Sounds like a great YA novel title to me. SO if you're feeling a little glum today, remember the power setting has on you; your characters feel the weight of their settings at least as much. 

To read more about Blue Monday, read this 

4 comments:

  1. Yesterday was a great day. Today has been a bad one. It was the kids' first day back at school and I set the alarm for pm and not am by mistake. I woke up 35 minutes before school started. In that time, I got the kids dressed, feed, and to school on time. On the way back home, a squirrel ran out in front of my car. I swerved, but he did too. Yup, I hit him. Poor little guy. So although my day didn't start off well, his was worse. I guess that makes me the villain of the day. Maybe I'll just crawl back into bed and try to start this day over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used weather in my first book, Mason Davis and the Rise of the Storm Makers. I didn't know about Blue Monday at the time. Sounds like a good holiday book if you ask me. Or movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Wednesday is worse than Monday. It really should be Blue Wed. Is it Friday yet?

    ReplyDelete